Thursday, December 24, 2009

Love Us.....


Merry Christmas from Barcelona, Spain December 2009

Schroder Christmas Letter 2009
I am writing this year’s letter from our apartment in Barcelona, Spain with the sound of traffic on the busy streets below.   We came to Spain for a study abroad year, to grasp the Spanish language, gain a global perspective, and enjoy our last year together before Holden goes to college.  Here’s how we are doing…


Holden (almost 18), was resistant to spending his senior year in a foreign country, but within about 5 mins he had a group of friends, his eye on the girls, and was enjoying the independence of European living.  He has overnight reconnected with his love of art and found a new interest in psychology.  He is working out everyday and eating faster than we can grocery shop.  Last night he laid his big boy body across my lap and said “Mom can you scratch my back.”  The words to the book I read him as a toddler came to my mind… “Love you forever, like you for always, as long as I am living my baby you’ll be.”


Luke 16, has a wide variety of interests from surfing, to fishing, to, politics, alternative energy, religion, music, and comedy.  He likes a variety of people (over the age of 14) and makes friends easily.  He is always up for any activity and searches out opportunities for adventure and travel.  He is a deep thinker and loyal to what he believes.  The other day I asked him something he personally believes in.  He said, “I believe in America.”  Luke is a patriot, in the deepest sense. He has a very dry sense of humor and requires very little to be happy.


Cambrie officially 13, is the teenager she has wanted to be since she was born.  Ever goal oriented, Cambrie chose to study ballet in Spain, vs. hip-hop with all her friends.  Cambrie values hard work, organization and lucky for me shopping.  One day she came home from school and said, “ Mom, I am really proud of you for doing a good job cleaning the apartment.”  Whoa girl, you aren’t the boss yet.  With all her ambition when posed with the question, “What do believe?” Cambrie responded firmly, “ I know God hears me when I pray.”


Faith, 8, has been lighting up Spain with her ‘rubio pelo’ (blonde hair), sweetness, and her booty popping dance moves.  If there is music and a crowd, Faith comes alive, but bedtime or school time she still cries (hey that rhymes). Faith doesn’t understand why we left the farm in California for the noisy big city. Her favorite day is when she goes to horseback riding lessons where she is training a “mini” pony named Lolo. She continues to be a trooper being the little one with all teenage siblings, often taking on the role as family therapist.  “We all love each other, so just be nice, is that so hard?” I can hear saying.


Ricky enjoyed working this for the US Department of Defense creating and producing a TV show for them.    He is constantly reading and writing, and recently sold a pilot to A & E.  He fulfilled a life long dream of going on a safari in Africa and has been obviously supportive of my dream of living in a foreign country.


Speaking of which, I have learned that accomplishing dreams can be a lot of work. I am reminded of this everyday as I struggle with learning Spanish and navigating life in unfamiliar territories.  It is a balance juggling new goals, while not loosing sight of life long dreams like trying to be a good wife, mom, daughter, and friend.  One step at a time, I try to remind myself often.


As a family this year we have talked a lot about things we believe.  Collectively, we believe God loves all people equally.  This sentiment rings ever true for us this year as I think of amazing people in our life at home, and now from around the world whom we love.
                                                     Oxo The Schroder Family