Friday, November 27, 2009

Foreign Language Class

As we plug away with the learning Spanish we realize that living in Spain has been an important part of understanding the language.  So many things we say in English are expressions like, “This chocolate is so good I want to die.”  When you try to directly translate language, it becomes more confusing.  Spanish is obviously the same way, so this week, I will teach you a few words that you might not learn in Spanish Class.


Spanish: Agresion
English: Mugging
Definition:When someone on the street robs you or causes injury or harm.  
For example:  Holden being jumped by 3 guys as he leaves his friends apartment in the Gothic Quarter area of Barcelona.  He was skating boarding home on a Saturday night when a guy asked him for the time.  When he looked down at his watch, 2 other men came from behind and tried to pull his backpack off.  Without thinking Holden grabbed his skateboard and started swinging.  The guys took off, but not before leaving Holden with a big black eye.

How could you hurt this face?


Spanish: El embolsar de seleccion
English: Pick Pocketing
Definition: When someone takes money or goods out of your pocket or purse without you noticing.  
For example:  Luke having 10 Euros taken from his pocket while talking to the pick pocketed on the metro.  When Luke told me he was pick pocketed, it seemed hard to believe until the other day when I took the metro with him and it happened again.  We were trying to get on the train, but I touristy looking lady was blocking the entrance, everyone started pushing to get past her before the doors, and that is when it happened.  The lady was a decoy, and in all the pushing and shoving, Luke’s wallet was taken. 

Luke in nearby Bonanova Metro Station before getting pick pocketed.


Spanish: BATAS  
English: smock/apron
Definition: A jacket or apron used to cover clothing while at work or play. 

Most apartments in Barcelona have a Portero (doorman) who wear  Blue Batas


Batas are a big part of Spanish culture, but I only started noticing them recently.  My friend told me that historically they were used to protect your clothes from getting soiled while at work or school.  Recently though the BATA started becoming more valuable than the clothes it was protecting and  even a status or fashion statement.

Spanish children at school wearing Batas. 
Sometimes parents spend a lot to have kids names embroidered on their kids Bata.

Oh what a fashion statement!
So as I am typing this, I log onto Skype to check in with my Mom who is at our place in California.  When I see my Mom on webcam I gasp,  “Mom, where did you get that Bata from?”  Yep my Mom is
 wearing a Bata to protect her clothes from dog hair as she brushes our dogs.  “It was your Grandmothers and she used to wear it all the time, it is about 40 years old now.” My mom explains.  “Mom, it’s a vintage Bata, and you shouldn’t be wearing it to cover up those cheap poly/cotton pants.” I say. 

Penelope is wearing a "vintage" Bata


Spanish: Programa Piloto de Moto 
English: Motorcycle Drivers
Definition: Starting at age 14, these drivers swarm the streets of Barcelona with mini bikes, ATV’s, dirt bikes, moped, motorcycles with their own set of rules.

We have been here for 3 months now, and everyday gasp at how crazy the Moto drivers are here.  They drive on the sidewalks, through red lights, between the lanes; on the wrong side of the street….basically Barcelona is Moto Mania. 

Today I saw a little kid on the back of his Mom’s Moto, not holding on. Her Mom, in her high heels navigated her way up a steep hill, next to a huge bus, over a curb and across major intersections as her little girl daydreamed on the back behind her.  Another day I was making my way through a traffic circle when all the cars stopped.  There must be an accident I thought. As I got closer, it was just a teenage Moto driver who had stopped to answer his cell phone mid route. 

This is a typical picture from my car window after school drop off.


Spanish: Pierna del jamon
English: Ham leg


Definition: Cured leg of ham; a staple food in Spain. Classified in Spain as not only the type of pig (black, white etc), but also the region from where the pig was raised like Serrano or Trevelez.

There are literally ham legs everywhere.  They hang in every market, in every restaurant, and in many homes in Spain.  This was another thing that shocked me when we first arrived, and still does. 



This is why American's can get the reputation for being rude. "Just hold your breath instead of holding your nose," I saw as we walk by yet another row of legs.



My friend keeps one in her kitchen and has a special drill stand thing that holds it.  She says it lasts her family about 3 months unless she has company. 




\
Cambrie and Luke snacking on Tapas (small bites) which always includes cured ham.


Here is a professional description of the best ham leg:

Iberico Bellota (breed and region)
Price: 300 euros
Approximate Weight: 7kg
This is the absolute king of dry-cured ham: hind leg of 20 month-old, free-range, acorn-finished Iberian Black pig. The pigs are reared in a magnificent environment of ancient oak woodland, and forage naturally for grasses, wild herbs and acorns.The hams are salt-cured, air-dried and cellar matured for three years. The flavor is complex, sweet and nutty. If you will settle only for the best: this is it!




I am not crazy about  the look or the smell of ham legs, but hey maybe 9 months from now, I will love seeing that cured hoof and thigh everyday on my kitchen counter.





Spanish: Inesperado
English: Unexpected


Definition: Unforeseen, without warning


When one of our friends (the ones who we went to the winery with) asked us to go to the countryside for a BBQ at her parents house I was like...."Ok cool, sounds good."
Similar to LA, Barcelona has lots of cute little beach towns up and down the coast.  For the BBQ we went to a beautiful village called Sant Andreu de Llaverenes.  Yolanda's parents live part time in an amazing estate on a cliff over looking the sea.  The view was unexpected, the delicious 6 course meal was unexpected, and the most unexpected part of the day was the still yet to come.  Yolanda's parents have been collecting art for 40 years and after lunch her father takes us to a warehouse on the property that is filled with rows and rows of art on sliding walls.  There is a little vintage FIAT that Yolanda explains was her first car stored in the warehouse. 



 "I have bought the first building Gaudi ever built to open an art gallery." Yolanda's Dad says, "would anybody like to go see it?"

Here's the group at the site of the new art gallery.



All the kids having lunch. Cambrie and Faith wished they knew more Spanish here.



Surrogate Grandma 
Spanish: veale mas adelante
English:  See you later


I wanted to celebrate Thanksgiving and thought I would invite a few of our new friends here.  One thing led to another and I have 45 people coming to apartment for Thanksgiving dinner.  It slipped my mind that I have one little oven, a tiny kitchen and apartment with no backyard for the kids to run around.  On that note, I better get busy.


Hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving....


Love Schroders