Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Even if you don't got it, flaunt it!!!


When visitors come to town, the first thing to see is Gaudi's Sagrada Familia, next is a stroll along the sea and port side.  Barcelona is unquie in the fact that it is an old urban, bussling city that sits right on the Meditarian Sea.  
You can visit historic Placa Sant Jaume...



or have Tapas on the top floor of the W hotel, then walk a few steps and be soaking in the rays on the beach.  

Luke, Faith and my friend Julie from USA, on the boardwalk
Since we now consider ourselves local, we know a few secrets about life on the Mediterranean Sea that the average tourist doesn't.  One, the beach can be the most dangerous place at night, contrary to the inner city.  Two, the water is freezing most of the year, and three, nudity is normal and even flaunted.  The first time I stumbled upon a group of naked men playing paddle beach ball I thought I had accidentially wandered into some private section of the beach.  

"Mom, quit starring," Cambrie said.  

Oh my gosh, I thought to myself, I am starring and I can't stop.  My mind is racing with curiousity and questions. First, why isn't anyone else starring? Second, how could a society ever get used to this spectacle?  One naked man pops up from his towel and runs into the water.  He splashes around jumping over little waves.  This is when I should really look away, but I am facinated.  Third question: How could someone possibly be this comfortable with their body, especially when they would look so much better clothed; like completely clothed.  I am surprized this man even has the confidence to go out with his shirt off with that much back hair, let alone....butt naked.  

DON'T WORRY, NO PHOTO TAKEN OR INSERTED HERE.

OK so when my friends came to visit last week, of course we went to the beach.  I was wondering if they would notice all the naked people on their own, they didn't, so I took the liberty of pointing a few out.  

"I think they think: Even if you don't got it; flaunt it," says Luke.

"That is a great idea for a marketing campain ," I say.

This is such a liberating way to be.  OK being naked and hairy on the beach is extreme, but how often do we not wear something or do something because we aren't confident in what God has given us?

Sometimes I have turned down a dance with Ricky because I have no new moves since the early 90's (neither does he), or I have sat watching my kids swim at my neighbors house because I feel like I look bad in a bathing suit.  Ok well my neighbor is a Victoria Secret super model, so I have a good excuse.  Anyway the point is, embrace who you are, and don't let anything especially yourself hold you back from enjoying life to the fullest.

So this past week my friend and I after being inspired from our brush with fashion in Paris, decided to put on a fashion show for a bedding company.  We made clothes out of bedding and organized groups to represent the company.  "Do you want to be one of the models?' my friend asked.  "No way," I said as anxiety flooded my body.  "Why not, it would be fun?' she urged.  "I need to be back stage getting the models ready."  It was true, there was a lot of work back stage with the outfits and I was needed there, more than I was needed on the runway.

Later that night, I suddenly thought, "I am going to do it, when am I going to have this chance again?"  I thought of what Luke said strolling along the beach...."even if you don't got; it flaunt it."  So I have never walked a runway or been able to keep a good beat to music, but I decided not to let fear hold me back.
Stage Mom takes the stage herself.  If you want to be a model, make your own fashion show and put yourself in it.  Luke and I represent CoCo Mat's first store in America.  
Cambrie and friend representing CoCo Mats shops in China.
Faith and a friend modeling bedsheet and pillow case creations.
A real model in a wedding dress we created from a feather duvet.  Ricky is the background filming.

So go ahead, take the stage in your own life, and don't be afraid to flaunt it.

P.S. In Memory of....
This post is dedicated to Daniel, our friend who passed away in Topanga recently.  Some would say that Daniel had little to flaunt, but whenever we pulled up to the general store, he flaunted his big smile and proudly read his own cowboy poetry from his tatered notebook.  Thanks for being confident in sharing your soul with us Daniel, we will miss you when we return.