Wednesday, April 14, 2010

A BIRTHDAY TRIBUTE TO RICKY



Here you are at 8 years old inThe Champ
Co-Star Jon Voight, Director Franco Zefferelli and Producer Dyson Lovell are still your friends today.
"Dear Ricky,
Don't get to swollen-headed when you will receive my warmest and most    affectioned wishes for this dramatic 40 ieth. I am  twice as much and still find lovers and friends as attractive as ever before...I must confess my very private passion for you, quite simply I fervid wish that you remain for at least another century the adorable friend, actor, husband and father that I have known !!!"




HAPPY BIRTHDAY, RICKY.


Franco Zeffirelli

"Ricky, I remember so well when we celebrated your birthday at MGM. A blessed day for The Champ! Happy 40th. I love you Ricky,  Dyson"
At 9 you were the youngest person to win a Golden Globe.
Your parents who raised you and taught you so many great things.
"Rick, wishing you a blessed 40th birthday. It was such adventure growing up together. On your 50th, you'll be getting the karate video we did in our back yard with Andy.
Love you brother, Chris"
(childhood friend)
At 14years old you were every teenage girls "dream boat" including mine.
"Dear Ricky,
Here we are, face to face,a coupla silver spoons, hopin' to find, we're two of a kind, makin' a ...something, takin' a ... something... TOGETHER! We're gonna find our WAAAYYY!!! Ha! Oh man the good ol days huh?! How's THAT for makin' you feel your age?! Heehee!



If someone had told me the day I met you at the Youth In Film awards when you were TEN looking truly irritated in the photo I managed to get with you (what I'd give to find that one!), to popping in and out of each others lives as teenagers in the awesome 80's.  Cut to now THIRTY freakin' years from the day we met and you and I have managed to form a beautiful, deeply rooted, hopefully life long friendship with our families! I LOVE that!!!!  I love and adore your family and am anxious for you guys to come back! Enough already! You've been gone mucho too long!Anyway Ricky, I'm proud of you. You're only 40 and look at all that you have... in every sense you truly have it all! Happy Happy Birthday Dear Friend!!!!!!!!
Love always,
Robyn Lively-Johnson"
(childhood friend and Silver Spoons Co-Star)


"Dear Rick,  Wishing you great years ahead.  Have a sweet 40th birthday with your wonderful wonderful family. Love looking at the pictures of your adventures, and my oh my what adventures they are!!  I am thrilled you are enjoying and enhancing your life with your treasured companions in life in such an amazing way. 
Love you all.  Sheila Kendall" 
(Childhood friend and news reporter)


At 19 you starred in the best western ever made Lonesome Dove. 
You and Robert Duvall are still close friends.

Rick


Many people have turned 40 in the last several centuries
Few have been as cool as you!
Let's shoot!
(film AND guns)
John Fasono
(friend and screenplay writer for 20 years)

In 1990 at age 20, you starred in another Western in my hometown Calgary, Canada.
We met and have been inseparable ever since. 
Ricky,
I have been going through photos of your life before we met and then photos of our life together.  What an incredible journey you have been on.  I feel like as I have gotten older, I have gained so much wisdom about life and the way things happen, to only feel gratitude for all the blessings and look at the hardships as growth opportunities.  I understand now that weathering the hardest times have made the many more good times even better.  We joke all the time that when wake up I pinch myself that I have you beside me. How could I not be happy waking up each day next to my best friend, the father of my amazing children, a person who is my biggest advocate, a gifted artist, a fearless hard working man, a dedicated husband and family man?  I am blessed to have you to share this journey of life together....
Love,
Andrea

P.S. A reminder of a poem I wrote for you a fews years ago..
Sleepy Love



Your love to me is sleepy,
sleepy like our soft bed-
comfortable like your warm body
next to my mine.
Your love to me is sunny,
sunny like a shiny ocean-
bright like your face when you are happy
to see mine.
Your love to me is jumpy,
jumpy like a black trampoline-
bouncing me into your open world
that is shared with mine.
Your love to me is happy,
happy like a dog on a walk-
knowing I've got a true friend
that loves me.
Your love to me is crazy,
crazy like a speedy jet plane-
racing into the unknown parts of you
that become a part of me.
Love Andrea
In 1996 I gave birth to our 3rd baby Cambrie who was born during our time in Colorado.
"Happy 40th Rick!
     Hard to believe it’s been 15 years that we’ve been friends. Our children are growing up and life is always changing! I want you to know that you have been a great friend and no matter how far apart life takes us I’m thankful for our friendship and all you’ve done for us!   I was at a cross-roads and couldn’t decide what to do with my career. It was the start-up help loan that you gave us year ago that helped me get Budget Blinds off the ground. Thank you for believing in me, it was that event that started things in motion to get us to where we are today. When Stace and I talk about all those years ago we laugh remembering how much fun we had playing cards everywhere we went together. Our trip to Cayman was the first real vacation we ever took and it was awesome! Do you remember all the hours and hours we spent talking about life and religion? We’ve come a long way Rick! You’re a great friend and I’m glad to call you one of mine. Happy Birthday!
Love,
Tor and Stacey"


Ricky is a conservationist and won Colorado Land Owner of the year for his efforts on behalf of wildlife and their natural habitat.  He has shared his love of nature with all of us.
"Hey Rick,
Happy Birthday !! We are close to 10 years apart and in November I turn 50. So, 40 doesn't sound so bad!! 
From Your Fat Little Buddy,
Brent Thurgood"
(ranch manager for over 10 years and friend for many more)

In 2007 in Emmy nominated Adromeda Strain.
"Dear Ricky,
You have already, at the young age of 40, lived a life so full of joy and giving and caring ~ I can't wait to see what the next 40 years brings!  
Thank you for being part of all we do to honor the families of America's Fallen Heroes, and thank you for giving a voice to those who serve this great nation of ours.  
Your patriotism is humbling, your sense of duty is inspiring, and your spirit is contagious. We love you! Happy birthday!
Bonnie"



Bonnie CarrollTragedy Assistance Program for Survivors
1777 F Street, NW, Suite 600
Washington, DC 20006


In 2007 playing Mike Doyle on 24.
Happy Birthday to one of the nicest and most talented actors I
was privileged to represent.As I write this I am looking at a lucite clock on my desk that says,
"Flo, We Love You The Schroders 1984"
Back at you, Ricky. Happy Days.
Love,  Flo

You have continued to grow and challenge yourself and have managed to prove yourself as an accomplished Writer and Director also.  Here you are in 2008 directing Hellhounds for Sci Fi in Romania.
Ricky
 Just want you to know how much I value our friendship and that I think you are a really great guy, a great friend and someone I  really respect quite a bit in my life! I really miss having you around since you have been in Spain. We miss our Sunday visits to the Schroder's! We miss you guys so much. We have  some time to catch up on when you get back! Maybe another trip to Mexico!? Bike and Surf? And fish!?!? 
Your friend, Bart
(fellow actor, director, writer and friend)



Ricky and his own crew after filming scenes for a new Army based TV Series on an Army base in Texas Summer 2009
Happy 40th!  I’m confident that the next 40 years will be as eventful, gratifying and productive as the first 40!  It is a pleasure and an honor to be working with you for all of these years.  I’m looking forward to watching more of your dreams come true!
Very fondly,
Becca
(Manager)


You are surrounded by lots of family who give you constant support and encouragement.
Dear Ricky,
It seems that for someone still so young you have hurtled through your life with more interesting and exciting experiences than many people twice or three times your age.  It takes a special person to be able to grasp those opportunities and magnify them as you have in your life.  Here are a few of my thoughts of what I think makes you extra special..

1.     Sensitivity – so many times I have seen those big blue eyes of yours moved to tears.  Notably at the birth of your children, at the plight of someone less fortunate, at the recognition of God’s love for you, at the thought of how much you love Andrea and your children, and many other more personal times. Practical compassion.  Just this past week or so ago a homeless man, Daniel, died in Topanga and I heard how highly he thought of you – for your recognition of his value in spite of his indigent circumstances, and your kindness in giving him clothing to keep him warm or money when appropriate.That seems to lead to your never-ending generosity.  You have always worked very hard for what you have and undoubtedly deserve it and yet so many times I have seen you share your bounty with friends and family alike.  To name a few – taking kids who are less-fortunate on many family trips at your own expense, organizing and paying for family activities at a reunion etc. You have the confidence to be humble. I could go on, but I will end here. With love and blessings for an awesome son-in-law who has so many of the qualities I would love to have myself, Penelope

Dear Ricky,
Even though I’ve known you for 20 years now it’s been the last few years living here in CA (and especially Topanga) that I’ve really gotten a chance to get to know you which has been great.  You and the rest of the family have become my closest family and for that I am very appreciative.  Not being one good at saying stuff I’m just going to get straight to the point:
-          I’ve always been very impressed that you put your family first and make many sacrifices for them.
-          You’ve been an inspiration to me on how you handle finances.
Try not to have too much of a mid-life crisis!!  Happy 40th.
Love,
Adam
(brother in law)

But your most important role of all has been your role as a Father.  
"Dear Daddy,
It's your 40th birthday and it's an enormous one!!! I love the time we spend together and I will always remember it.  I like how I am growing up with a father like you.  I will never not love you because you are my father on earth and you are my love, my father, the one I depend on.  I will always love you so much and that will never change.  Love your daughter and Special Angel, Faith
P.S. Love is all you need."
Ricky has taken the boys to Alaska their whole lives. It is one of his favorite places in the world, known for is abundance of wide open space, fishing, and snow capped mountains. 
"hey dad,
 happy 40th...wow that sounds so old but you dont seem it. I enjoy being your buddy and spending lots of time with you hunting and fishing and i'm looking forward to our adventures in the future. we are going to be spending alot of time together this year since holden is going off to college and you're the only other guy in the house. your a great dad...love you!  Luke"

RIcky and Cambrie this month in Morocco
"Dear Dad,
I feel like of all the kids I am the most like you in looks and personality too.  You have led a life that has given me big shoes to fill and I want to fill them.  I have big dreams and you have taught me that I can do anything that I set my mind too and to also dream big.  I am growing up fast and I know you want me to stay your little girl forever, but I cant I want to fullil my dreams and goals. Sometimes I am hard on you, I just want you to be the best person that you can be and there is no other dad that I would rather have.
Love the boss lady and happy birthday,
Cambrie"

Ricky and Holden exploring the outdoors 1992
"hey dad
 just wanted to say happy birthday, big 40.

the past 18 years of my life have been really great, you as a father have been a key role in that happiness, you have given me opportunities and experiences other kids dreamed about, these have shaped the person I am today. I am about to leave the house for college and I can say that I have nothing that I have wished I could have done while I was in the house. Thank you for that. I hope that you continue to succeed in following your passions as a writer, director, actor, and I hope I will still be included in your work, because I enjoy brainstorming with you. By example, you have given me a great work ethic and high standards of what I want my life to be. I'm excited to put them to the test in college and to make you proud.
love holden"


Ricky on the big day holding up a gift, a new Barcelona soccer jersy, just for him who during our time in Spain has become a crazy fan like the locals.
Happy Birthday Ricky....We love you!!!